Health & Safety
Excellence in the management of health and safety is an essential part of the logistics business and a cornerstone of Downton’s operations.
Downton is fully committed to ensuring the health, safety and welfare of its employees, suppliers, partners and customers at all times. The company philosophy is to always ensure best practice and operate a process of continual improvement.
Dedicated teams of professionals in Health and Safety, Vehicle Compliance and maintenance, Driver and FLT training, HR and Warehouse operations, manage and control the company’s operations to ensure the highest standards are maintained.
Downton’s Health and Safety team has developed a comprehensive Health and Safety management system. The system covers all aspects of Health and Safety including documentation and safe working practices, risk assessments, plant and equipment monitoring, training monitoring, Accident reporting and investigation and self-audits. It is accessible to all management personnel through a web based Management system.
The system enables the management team to monitor and manage Health and Safety effectively and efficiently.
The company has implemented a number of safety procedures and initiatives:
- Employees have a comprehensive health, safety and environmental induction and handbook which includes safe working practices.
- All drivers have completed a full induction and driving assessment with in house trainer / assessors and are required to complete their SAFED training and Driver CPC training in house to maintain quality and content.
- All drivers are monitored by a telematics system which monitors driver performance and enables rapid tracing of driving performance and the organisation of refresher training where required.
- Downton has been heavily involved in the production and publication of the FTA Best Practice Guide – “Load securing for the brewing and drinks industry”
- Downton has been involved in research with the Health and Safety Laboratory (HSL) in measuring the potential for movement of paper reels on trailers.
- Implementation of a web based Safety Management system encompassing all Downton sites and Downton in-plant operations.
- In house FLT instructors train and monitor FLT activities in all the warehouse operations
- The company is registered and compliant to The Fleet Operators Recognition Scheme (FORS) Bronze level.
- The company holds ISO 9001/2015 quality standard
peace of mind