Downton is committed to minimising the environmental impacts of its activities by reducing emissions through innovation and waste management.
The company has introduced a number of measures to help reduce its carbon footprint, including:
- Invested £1.5 million in dual fuel vehicles and aerodynamic trailers, reducing fuel consumption and emissions
- Improved vehicle routing
- Significant investment in Microlise telematics system with anticipated fuel savings from 2013 of 6 per cent
- All vehicle engines meet the latest Euro 5 emissions standards
- Working towards ISO 14001 accreditation – current plans are to achieve accreditation by the end of 2015
- Safe and Fuel Efficient Driving (SAFED) training provided to all drivers
The investment made in improving sustainability and limiting the business’ impact on the environment has had a significant effect, reducing overall emissions by approximately 10 per cent.
This is ongoing and a policy of continuous improvement is maintained.